FedEx Office, an operating company of FedEx Corp. formed an alliance with Canon U.S.A. Inc. and HP to create a network of printing and imaging capabilities, giving customers access to leading-edge technologies and a state-of-the-art machine fleet.
These new solutions enable FedEx Office to offer individuals and business customers a better, faster, more flexible and environmentally smarter way of creating, customizing, printing and distributing their materials—transforming the retail printing experience.
Beginning next month, FedEx Office (formerly FedEx Kinko’s) will utilize Canon and HP as sole-source providers in their respective printing categories, and will deploy more than 12,000 new Canon and HP printing devices across more than 1,800 locations in the U.S. and Canada.
The majority of the next-generation document imaging equipment will be installed over the next 12 months, laying the foundation for a range of new products and services that will help harness the explosion of printable content now accessible to consumers.
“Customers’ expectations of printing have changed dramatically, and we are transforming our business to stay ahead of those trends and improve on our leadership position,” said Brian Philips, president and CEO of FedEx Office. “In Canon and HP, we are choosing two companies that understand our business and whose incomparable reputations, brands and histories of innovation align with our vision to bring customer ideas to life through the world’s best print-on-demand network.”
The new network will provide benefits such as:
- Technology—The new devices that will be deployed include Canon’s imageRUNNER ADVANCE multifunction products (MFP) and imagePRESS digital press systems, representing Canon’s two largest investments in imaging device development over the past 10 years. In addition, HP is delivering online and cloud printing applications, which will give FedEx Office a competitive advantage and pave the way for stronger revenue streams and next-generation technology solutions.
- Consistency—The devices will be the same across most locations, creating a uniform customer experience with quality printing and reliable equipment operation. Specifically, advanced software tools from Canon will enable FedEx Office employees to monitor the installed device fleet to ensure optimum working status and reduce potential down-time delays.
- Capacity—The enhancements will provide greater capacity and improved speed across the network, giving customers better turnaround times and 24-7 access.
- Efficiency—The equipment, spanning an array of functionality (color, large format, multi-function) is fast and energy-efficient, saving time and resources. Designated ENERGY STAR models offer a range of energy-conscious features to minimize environmental impacts while delivering extraordinary reliability.
- Usability—The devices in the self-serve area of FedEx Office locations will have more user-friendly interfaces, and offer a consistent user experience regardless of store location. Furnished with Canon MFPs and HP Designjet large format printers, FedEx Office customers will have access to some of the highest-quality, most environmentally-friendly devices available.
- Flexibility—FedEx Office will begin implementing creative HP publishing solutions such as Snapfish to offer a printing and publishing resource that will broaden its reach to consumers.
In addition, the equipment will empower customers to capitalize on the advancements in print technology that allow for remote printing from wherever customers are located, whenever they want to print, using USB drives or smart phones. The technology also paves the way for “cloud printing,” which allows customers to store documents in a virtual space that is accessible from anywhere that a network connection can be established.