Envelopes do more than carry letters and inserts. The right outer envelope can improve deliverability, increase open rates, promote offers and communicate a positive brand image.
That’s why high-volume printers and mailers are excited about the latest innovations in envelope wrapping. Advances in paper production and mail technologies make it easy to help save significant money for producing transactional and direct mail while improving mailpiece effectiveness.
Instead of stuffing contents into preprinted envelopes, mailers can now “wrap” letters and inserts on the fly. Rolls of white paper replace traditional outer envelopes. When integrated with a mail finishing system, mailpieces can be printed, personalized and sealed with address, barcodes, postal indicia and personalized messages in a single pass.
Using continuous wrap is estimated to lower mailpiece costs by 20 to 40 percent through reduced paper usage, improved warehouse management and less scrap. The streamlined workflow dramatically boosts operational efficiency and productivity. Also, labor requirements for large mailings can be significantly reduced. For example, a company running a two-up, pin-less, roll-fed variable page credit card statement using an integrated wrapping solution can:
- Print, process and cut full-color documents and verify sheets against a job file
- Tri-fold mailpieces with selective inserts added to the collation
- Replace traditional envelopes with a continuous roll wrap material
- Synchronize document collation, transfer to the wrap module
- Cut the web to the specified length and complete the job with finished mailpieces
Since rolls of wrapping material typically output more than 50,000 envelopes, jobs can run uninterrupted for up to two hours.
Wrapping material can be configured to produce closed-face envelopes with a scalloped flap or windowed envelopes with the same look, feel and ease of openability as more costly traditional options.
Envelope wrapping also enables organizations to more closely link print and mail. With intelligent, high integrity software driving production runs, envelope wraps can be personalized with messages and images based on specific customer profiles—and match envelope messaging with transpromo content on the primary document within. Variable content can be printed in black-and-white or full-color on the fly as part of a normal production run.
This capability drives an additional 20 to 25 percent boost in productivity by eliminating the need to stock inventory and manage the insertion process, while helping to deliver relevant information to specific targeted customers. Postal weight costs can also be minimized by adding messaging on the wrap and reducing inserts and buck slips.
What to Look for in a Solution
To achieve the productivity, flexibility and integrity necessary for today’s effective customer communications, look for a platform that combines hardware and software solutions to deliver:
- Up to 40 percent lower mailpiece costs
- Offset and digital printing in color or black-and-white, before or after the wrap
- Appearance, quality and features of traditional envelopes
- Complex mailings with high degrees of personalization
- Optimization of inserts without exceeding postage limits
- Generation of on-demand logos, graphics and messages on the fly
- Glue reheat features to minimize in process spoilage
- Integrated web-fed paper wrapping engine
Some best in class solutions are easy to implement with a retrofittable design, so there is no requirement to replace an operable legacy system, change mail processing workflows or applications.
These cost effective solutions offer high throughput and flexibility, running up to 26,000 mailpieces per hour, and allow companies to create, send and track millions of multipage, data-rich documents each month. Integrated software can provide end-to-end tracking to help ensure mailpiece integrity.
Today’s new wrapping solutions can allow companies to maximize existing assets and significantly reduce operating expenses.