The National Association for Printing Leadership (NAPL) was proud to honor David C. Pitts, President and Co-Owner of Classic Graphics, with its highest honor for industry service, the 2013 Walter E. Soderstrom Award, during the Soderstrom Society Awards Dinner, September 7, at The Gleacher Center of the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
Sixteen industry leaders were also inducted into NAPL’s Soderstrom honors society, and the presentation of awards to the top winners in the NAPL Marketing Plus competition.
“We are pleased to present this award to David Pitts,” said NAPL President and CEO Joseph P. Truncale, Ph.D. “He has not only been a driving force in building one of the industry’s most advanced and energetic companies, but has given generously of both his time and skill in helping NAPL work for the betterment of the industry at large. This award gives us an opportunity to recognize his substantial accomplishments and express our appreciation for his dedicated service.”
Pitts began his career in printing via a high school vocational program and went on to take a job as a press operator. In 1983, with a $15,000 loan, he and co-worker Bill Gardner founded Classic Graphics. At the beginning, the two men did everything, working long hours six or seven days a week, while holding part-time jobs to make ends meet.
Under their leadership, Classic Graphics has grown into a full-service printing, graphics, and direct mail company with 150+ employees, providing high-quality offset, digital, and wide-format printing and finishing services, as well as fulfillment, mailing, distribution, and new media services.
Throughout his career, Pitts has been actively involved in industry association and educational initiatives, serving as a member of the NAPL Board of Directors and as Chairperson and a member of the Board of Directors of Printing Industries of the Carolinas (PICA).
Named for the late Walter E. Soderstrom, one of the founders of NAPL, the Soderstrom Award and Soderstrom Society recognize and celebrate the contributions of industry leaders, including printing firm owners and executives, equipment manufacturers, consultants, educators, and members of the press who have “significantly contributed to the development and progress of the graphic arts.”
Inducted into the Soderstrom Society this year were the following:
• Mal Baboyian, Executive Vice President, PPS and LFS Divisions, Canon Solutions America, Inc., Boca Raton, FL
• David Bennett, President, Bennett Graphics, Tucker, GA
• G. Paul Bozuwa, President and COO, Dartmouth Printing Company, Hanover, NH
• Sid Chadwick, Chadwick Consulting, Lewisville, NC
• Tracey Cohen, President, Target Copy, Tallahassee, FL
• Derrick Doi, Vice President, Quick & Franchise Segment Marketing, Xerox Corporation, Webster, NY
• Bryan Hall, President and CEO, Graphic Visual Solutions, Greensboro, NC
• Mark Hischar, President and CEO, KBA North America Inc., Dallas, TX
• Gavin Jordan-Smith, Vice President, Solutions and Production Planning, BIS, Konica Minolta Business Solutions U.S.A., Inc., Ramsey, NJ
• Frank Mallozzi, Senior Vice President of Worldwide Sales and Marketing, EFI, Foster City, CA
• Susan Nofi, Senior Vice President, Human Resources and General Counsel, Heidelberg USA, Inc., Kennesaw, GA
• Christopher Payne, Director & Vice President, Commercial Marketing, Kodak, Rochester, NY
• Michael Ring, President, Xeikon America, Inc., Itasca, IL
• Ted Straus, Vice President and COO, Suttle-Straus, Waunakee, WI
• Patricia A. Stricker, President and COO, The Sheridan Press, Hanover, PA
• Trish Witkowski, President/Chief Folding Fanatic, Foldfactory.com, Phoenix, MD
In another first, the Gold Awards were presented at the Soderstrom Awards Dinner to the top winners in the annual NAPL Marketing Plus Awards Program. The 2013 competition was open to all self-promotional marketing initiatives executed by industry companies between June 1, 2012, and May 31, 2013.