As design projects continue to become more digital and designers more mobile, the demand for applications to support an ever-changing work dynamic intensifies. Pantone LLC, an X-Rite company and the global authority on color and provider of professional color standards for the design industries, has announced two new mobile applications to meet this growing need – myPANTONE for Android and myPANTONE 2.0 for the iPhone.
myPANTONEfor Android brings Pantone’s popular iPhone application for capturing, creating and sharing PANTONE Color Palettes to the Android platform – giving graphic, digital, multimedia, fashion, interior and industrial designers access to more than 13,000 PANTONE Colors wherever they go, whenever they find inspiration.
myPANTONE 2.0 incorporates feedback from more than 80,000 Pantone fans to extend the functionality of the original myPANTONE application and meet the growing needs of designers. myPANTONE 2.0 adds several enhanced features, including color calibration tools to improve the appearance of PANTONE Colors on screen, CMYK support for PANTONE PLUS SERIES Colors, access to ICC color-managed values, and the ability to print color palettes straight from the iPhone.
“We continue to see a fundamental shift in the way designers work and smartphones are increasingly acting as portable color studios,” said Andy Hatkoff, vice president of technology licensing for Pantone. “myPANTONE for the iPhone was our first mobile application. Since its release, our Facebook community has been passionate about telling us the features they would like to see in future versions, including CMYK values and display calibration for more accurate color representation on screen. And, as the mobile market continues to expand, requests for an Android version of myPANTONE could not be ignored.”
myPANTONE for Android
Much like the myPANTONE application for the iPhone, myPANTONE for Android gives designers access to all the PANTONE Color Libraries including:
- PANTONE PLUS SERIES FORMULA GUIDE (coated and uncoated), a two-guide set consisting of 1,341 solid PANTONE Colors on coated and uncoated stock with corresponding printing ink formulas for each color
- PANTONE PLUS SERIES CMYK (coated and uncoated) provides a comprehensive palette of 2,868 colors achievable in four-color (CMYK) process printing
- PANTONE PLUS COLOR BRIDGE (coated and uncoated) features CMYK values for all 1,341 solid PANTONE Colors
- PANTONE PLUS PREMIUM METALLICS (coated)
- PANTONE PLUS PASTELS & NEONS (coated and uncoated)
- PANTONE Goe(coated and uncoated) and PANTONE GoeBridge coated
- PANTONE FASHION + HOME Color System Library (paper and cotton)
- PANTONE FASHION + HOME nylon brights
Each color swatch in the myPANTONE for Android application includes sRGB, HTML and L*a*b* values. myPANTONE for Android also automatically generates a variety of harmonious color combinations. Additionally, invaluable cross-referencing color capabilities make it simple for users to find similar colors among the various PANTONE Color Libraries. For example, users can identify the PANTONE FASHION + HOME Color that most closely matches any PANTONE PLUS Color.
myPANTONE for Android takes advantage of Android’s built-in camera to let the user capture whatever inspires them. Colors can be extracted from any photo stored on the Android and matched to the closest PANTONEColors.