Appleton Coated announces the 2011 winning entries to the U360 Design Competition in the newly-released “Elevate” Winners Showbook. The book presents an uplifting collection of award-winning work that demonstrates the effective, creative role that print communication plays in the marketing mix. Skyscrapers and architectural design icons accentuate the showbook’s theme.
“The U360 Competition recognizes printed communications taken to new heights and the creative professionals who achieve these gravity-defying results,” says Ferkó Goldinger, advertising and promotion manager.
In this year’s competition, both Best of Show and Print Excellence were awarded to “What is the Story?” designed by ARGUS, LCC, San Francisco; printed by and for Fong & Fong Printers & Lithographers.
The awards for Design Excellence were presented to “Madewell Fall 2010 Look Book;” designed by and for Madewell, New York; printed by National Communications Group, Inc., New York; and to “Tuaca Branding Kit;” designed by Cue, Inc., Minneapolis; printed by Franklin Press, Plymouth, Minn.; for Brown-Forman Corp.
The award for Communication Excellence was earned by “Dell Brand Book;” designed by Lippincott, New York; printed by Sandy Alexander, Clifton, N.J.
The other U360 Winners included:
* “On Barnard/Off Barnard;” designed by The North Charles Street Design Organization, Baltimore; printed by Mosaic Printing, Cheverly, Md.; for Barnard College
* “Timberland Boot Company Catalogs;” by and for Timberland, Stratham, N.H.; printed by UniGraphic, Woburn, Mass.
* “Be in Charge;” designed by and for Rule29, Geneva, Ill.; printed by O’Neil Printing, Phoenix
* “Dangerous Desires 2010-2011 Season;” designed by The Matchbox Studio, Dallas; printed by Lincoln Press, Dallas; for The Dallas Opera
* “Barbara Barry;” designed by Pilot, New York; printed by GLS, Saint Paul, Minn.
* “J.Crew Women’s Spring 2010 Look Book;” designed by and for J.Crew, New York; printed by Datagraphic, Hempstead, New York
* “Michele Oka Doner Catalogue, Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park;” designed by and for Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, Grand Rapids, Mich.; printed by Foremost Graphics, Grand Rapids, Mich.
* “Sanctuary;” designed by Louisa Gent, New York; printed by Van Lanen Inc., Green Bay, Wis.
* “Source Energy Brochure;” designed by Tolleson Design, San Francisco; printed by Press Arts, Inc., San Francisco
The four Regional Recognition award recipients were:
* South Central – “JP Morgan Chase Hyatt Reward Kit;” designed by EyeThink, Powell, Ohio; printed by JohnsByrne, Niles, Ill.
* Northeast – “NYU Langone Medical Center 2009 Annual Report;” designed by Weymouth Design, Boston; printed by Dynagraf, Canton, Mass.
* Northeast – “Signature Bank Brochures;” designed by Suka Creative, New York; printed by Doremus Financial Printing, New York
* Midwest – “Ping Apparel Spring Catalog 2011;” designed by Creative Resources Ink, Overland Park, Kan.; printed by Spangler Graphics, Kansas City, Kan.; for Custom Branded Sportswear