This January, Appleton Coated convened the first meeting of the 2012 Design Council, a panel of leading designers and print communications specialists. For 17 years, the Council has gathered from across North America to share their observations from their geographical and professional areas.
The 2012 Appleton Coated Design Council members include:
* Bill Thorburn, founding principal at The Thorburn Group in Minneapolis;
* Bob Faust, owner and principal at Faust in Riverside, Ill.;
* Bryan Peterson, owner and principal at Peterson Ray & Company in Dallas;
* John Connolly, principal and creative director at Ideas On Purpose in New York;
* Kathleen Turaski, co-founder and principal at Resonance Marketing in Atlanta;
* Michael Eads, principal and director of production at Sametz Blackstone Associates in Boston;
* Ray Talamo, director of design at Roger Williams University's Department of Marketing Communications in Bristol, R.I.; and
* Tim Hale, senior vice president of design management and marketing at Fossil, Inc. in Richardson, Texas.
"The Design Council meetings foster an engaging discussion about the business issues and trends that these design leaders observe in their practices. We share trends that we see in paper and the role that printed communication continues to play in the marketing mix. This exchange helps us to shape a relevant marketing program that supports our customers' success," says Ferkó X. Goldinger, advertising and promotion manager at Appleton Coated.
Along with discussing industry issues and trends, the Appleton Coated Design Council reviews the entries for the U360 Design Competition. The 2012 winners will be announced later this Spring. The U360 submissions produced in 2011 were printed all, or in part, on Utopia and/or Curious Collection papers. Entries for the 2013 competition will be accepted through December 2012.