The International Cooperation for the Integration of the Processes in Prepress, Press and Postpress (CIP4) organization announced the 2012 winners of the Jürgen Schönhut Memorial CIP4 International Print Production Innovation (CIPPI) Awards in advance of the CIPPI Awards Presentation on May 6th, at the drupa innovation park during drupa 2012. The CIPPI awards are given annually to the printer, publisher or prepress service who applies with the most compelling case study in three topical categories and four regions. The winners are:
- Imprimerie Rochelaise of La Rochelle Cedex 1, France for “Best cost/benefit realization and improvement in efficiency as a result of process automation implementation,” with support by RHAPSO, AGFA, manroland, and Koenig & Bauer AG.
- W&R Etiketten of Tilburg, The Netherlands for “Biggest improvement in quality production & customer responsiveness as a result of process automation,” with support by CERM, Esko, and Xeikon.
- Druckerei Köller + Nowak GmbH of Düsseldorf, Germany for “Most innovative use of process automation technology in an implementation,” with support by HP HIFLEX, Kodak Graphic Communications, and Heidelberger Druckmaschinen AG.
Any printer, prepress service or publisher may apply for the CIPPI awards. Awards are determined by a Review Panel of judges without affiliation to any vendor, printer, prepress service or publisher. The five Review Panel judges are:
- Patrick Cahuet of 1Prime|Concept (France)
- Stephan Jaeggi of PrePress-Consulting (Switzerland)
- Tetsuo Kimura of PrinTechno, Inc. (Japan)
- John Leininger of Clemson University (USA)
- Abhay Sharma of Ryerson University (Canada)
“All of the applications this year were very solid and demonstrated complete automation of operations,” said CIP4 Executive Director Jim Harvey. “While JDF-enabled print automation has become a core competency for most printers, the level of integration that we see in these winning case studies shows that JDF-enabled print automation has an impact beyond operational efficiencies and can positively affect profitability, quality and customer relations.”
The winners and their supporting vendors will be presented with their CIPPI Awards on May 6th, at drupa. The presentation ceremony will be held at Stage 2 in the drupa innovation park (Hall 7.0), beginning at 5:30 PM local time. The 2010 CIPPI award-winning case studies may be downloaded from: www.cip4.org/cippi/ where you can also get more information on the CIPPI awards program. (Summaries of the 2012 winning case studies may be found in the section below.) Press representatives who wish to interview CIPPI Award winners may write to Jim Harvey at firstname.lastname@example.org to request contact information.