* The striking and tactile sculptural mask by Bonsoir Paris (www.bonsoirparis.fr) uses SKIN Curious Collection paper pummeled and pounded into a block sufficiently dense to be painstakingly carved. It is a celebration of hands as personal creative tools, the most expressive part of the body, and the source of hand-made objects. As the studio explains, “We transformed the paper into a mysterious medium so that the material was also masked.”
* The mask of Kako Ueda (www.kakoueda.com) reflects her pre-occupation with transformation and nature. Her inspiration is the story of Daphne, a maiden in Greek mythology who is changed into a tree by her father to help her avoid the advances of the lovesick Apollo. Kako meticulously cut the paper in intricate detail with an X-ACTO knife. By adding layer upon layer to create a magical metaphor she demonstrates her view that “a mask... It's all about metamorphosis, hiding and revealing at the same time.”
New SKIN Colors
“The Curious Collection is a designer’s favorite and has always been recognized as offering daring, unconventional and cutting edge papers. Its fresh, high impact approach enables designers to reinvent packaging, communications and marketing materials. All ranges are fully FSC certified (FSC C007796), making them ideal for designers looking for a creative and sustainable paper solution,” notes Goldinger.
“What is more beautiful and sensual to touch than smooth skin?” he asks. “This is the feeling that SKIN conveys through all its papers. Its softness appeals to the senses. These papers are perfect for all applications where a unique feel is essential: brochures, invitations, business cards, luxury packaging and envelopes.”
Goldinger adds, “The virtues of SKIN are its homogeneity, its intense matte colors, its smooth and distinctively tactile surface and its resistance to rubbing or finger marking. The four new colors were inspired by trend forecaster Edelkoort Studio to reflect the latest in contemporary fashion and design, and along with the eight other SKIN colors, are already specified by luxury brand leaders. They are suitable for most print techniques and have excellent printability.”
The new SKIN colors are described as:
* EMERALD – An ultra-dense, mineral color that stands out by its strength of character. This precious, vibrant emerald green is ideal to electrify any creation. It is particularly suited to communications that combine technology with luxury.
* PURPLE – An intense purple that seems to have come straight out of a fashion show. Its evocative power talks of elegance, femininity and mystery.
* GREY – The ideal tone to make others stand out. Grey from SKIN celebrates the return to minimalism. Like hushed, intimate lighting, it adds composure, restraint and distinction; a sought-after medium in design and architecture.
* INDIGO – It sits between the classic “bleu de Nîmes” and the architect’s blueprint. This new shade rubs shoulders with the world of creation. Its natural distinction makes it suitable for event-based and corporate communications alike.
Complementing the ultra-matte SKIN Curious Collection, the Curious Collection presents a full offering of Curious Metallics, Curious Translucents, Curious Touch, Curious Particle and Curious Cosmic.
Green Power is now a standard feature for four of the Curious Collection product lines – SKIN, Metallics, Translucents and Particles. For all of the grades that carry this designation, 100% of the electricity used to manufacture these products is matched with renewable energy credits (RECS) from Green-e certified energy sources, primarily in the form of wind.
Along with Green Power, SKIN Curious Collection products are elemental chlorine free (ECF). The entire Curious Collection is Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified and manufactured in ISO 14001 facilities.