Packaging professionals gathered in Chicago October 28-31 to attend Pack Expo, the largest packaging and processing trade event in the world. Amid an epic Northeast hurricane, the show still attracted 45,000 attendees, many from international locations. And, for the first time, the event maxed out McCormick Place, covering more than 1.1 million net square feet, an increase of over 6 percent from 2010.
Muller Martini’s Press Division was well-represented, showing off its new generation VSOP web offset printing press. The VSOP prints labels, flexible packaging and folding carton products and features an impressive list of functionality and operational advancements, including:
• New ergonomic construction allowing for easier machine access for sleeve changes and daily operation
• Innovative electronic control technology utilizing fewer components for greater machine reliability
• Efficient external roller setting feature reduces the initial and operational roller setting time by half
• Optimized ink train design delivers consistently reproducible ink settings
• Modular design philosophy enables flexible machine configurations for a wide range of hybrid packaging printing applications
What’s more, thick substrates which are often used in carton printing can be processed using the VSOP.
Muller’s booth featured a pneumatically powered 33 1/3” wide VSOP print tower which showcased the press’s automated interchangeable sleeve. The VSOP was equipped with a see-through door so that people could observe its changeover technology while the press was actually running. The demonstration showed how easy and fast it is to change the sleeves in order to seamlessly accommodate new printing jobs of variable lengths.
“In addition to our prominent presence in the post-finishing market, Muller Martini is also committed to serving the packaging needs of printers,” commented Carrington Herbert, Muller Martini’s Vice President of Sales. “At this year’s Pack Expo, it was extremely satisfying to see many of our clients exhibiting their VSOP packaging capabilities.” Mr. Herbert added, “The VSOP is a groundbreaking technology which opens up new revenue opportunities for printers around the globe. Just taking into account the size of this year’s Pack Expo, it’s apparent that packaging is an extraordinarily robust market which will continue to grow and evolve. And we’re excited to be a part of it.”