Various performance and environmental attributes have made U.S. soy popular among product manufacturers, which has helped rapidly increase industrial demand for soy. In the last year alone, the United Soybean Board (USB) partnered with manufacturers to commercialize 45 new soy-based products.
“We’re looking for innovative work that will lead to a great new use for soybeans,” says USB Director Russ Carpenter, a soybean farmer from Trumansburg, N.Y. “We collaborate with industry on research projects and form partnerships that add value for everybody, both the manufacturers and soybean farmers.”
USB provides funding to manufacturers of industrial and consumer products to research, develop and commercialize new products that contain soy. Partnerships like these have helped bring hundreds of new soy products to the marketplace and increase industrial use of U.S. soy oil by 482 percent in the last 10 years. And USB continues to look for new opportunities to create more partnerships that support both innovation and demand for U.S. soy.
Manufacturers use soy oil as a replacement for petrochemicals to make their products more renewable and more environmentally friendly while maintaining or, in some cases, exceeding performance. Soy products are often more biodegradable and contain fewer volatile organic compounds than traditional products. Meanwhile, soy oil can provide excellent solvency, lubricity, strength and other attributes.
This year’s list includes new additions to some popular soy-based product categories, such as polyols, candle wax and industrial lubricants. But it also includes entries in some completely new categories like paintballs, gel mattress filling and nail-polish remover. Click here to browse USB’s Soy Products Guide, an online catalog of the thousands of currently available soy-based products.
The new soy-based products introduced in 2012 as a result of USB support include the following:
- BetaFoam™ Renue – new cavity-sealing foam made with 25 percent renewable soy oil – Dow Automotive Systems
- AGROL® Prime, Star, Platinum and AO+ – four new soy-based polyurethane products from BioBased Technologies®, LLC. – Prime is slated for flexible slabstock formulations
- Soypex™ 100 – soy-based replacement of paraffin wax for candles – Galata Chemicals, Inc.
- Drapex® Alpha – a primary biobased plasticizer as a replacement for phthalate plasticizers in polyvinyl polymers – Galata Chemicals, LLC
- reFlex™ 100 – a biobased plasticizer as a replacement for phthalate plasticizers based on Battelle Institute technology and developed with ADM and the PolyOne Corporation, this product has been recognized by the USDA Biopreferred program and given a 94 percent biobased label
- Impact Gel™ – use of epoxidized soy oil to produce an impact gel for a variety of bedding applications – Impact Gel® Corporation
- VikoFlex™ 7010 – phthalate-free soy-based plasticizer – Arkema, Inc.
- InnoGreen™ Polyurethanes – a new family of 30-40 percent soy-based polyurethane cast elastomer systems – Innovative Polymers, Inc.
COATINGS /PRINTING INKS/SOLVENTS
- Soy Paint and Soy Stain & Varnish – used for creative art products – formulated by New Century Coatings and sold by Delta Creative, Inc.
- Beckosol™ AQ – family of soy-based alkyd latex resins to be used in architectural paints and road markings – Reichhold Chemicals
- Ultimate Polyurethane – soy acrylic/polyurethane clear coat for interior wood applications – Rust-Oleum
- G.E.T. Biobased Mastic – soy-based zero VOC roof mastic – developed by Niemann & Associates for Green Eagle Technologies, LLC.
- RAP 4 Eco Friendly Field Paintballs – soy oil to partially replace polyethylene glycol in paintballs – Real Action Paint Ball, Inc.
- Soyanol™ – soy-based plasticizer for waterborne acrylics – Soy Technologies, LLC
- Soyanol™ Cuticle Oil – soy-based product that is part of a healthy treatment system for nails – Soy Technologies, LLC
- Soyanol™ 1000E – soy-based additive for paints and coatings – Soy Technologies, LLC
- Lead Out™ – soy-methyl-ester-based paint stripper for safe lead paint removal – Franmar Chemical, Inc.
- Soyanol™ NPR-6 – soy-methyl-ester-based nail polish remover – Soy Technologies, LLC
- Soyanol™ 5000X-TB – soy-methyl-ester-based stain and paint thinner – Soy Technologies, LLC
- Timber OXGreen™ – soy-based wood stain – Timber Ox, Inc.
- Greenway™ – soy-methyl-ester-based printing ink cleaner for UV and air-dried inks – Franmar Chemical, Inc.
- Green Again™ – soy-methyl-ester-based printing screen wash for textile inks – Franmar Chemical, Inc.
- Versagen™ 100 – methyl soyate industrial solvent – Griffin Industries, LLC
- Versage™ 100-D – distilled low-color methyl soyate industrial solvent – Griffin Industries, LLC.
- TRANSFORM™ – soy-based wood for fabricating building products such as furniture – e2e Materials®
EMERGING INDUSTRIAL OPPORTUNITIES
- Industrial Grade Propylene Glycol – for use in antifreeze and as a chemical intermediate for plastics, coatings, etc. – Evolution Chemicals from ADM
- USP Grade Propylene Glycol – for use in food and pharmaceuticals – Evolution Chemicals from ADM
- EAS™ – sulfate-enhanced soy-oil-based substrate for groundwater bioremediation – EOS Remediation, LLC
- VOS™ – soy-oil-based bioremediation substrate for soils – EOS Remediation, LLC
- EOS XR™ – emulsified soy oil extended-release substrate for groundwater bioremediation – EOS Remediation, LLC
- BioPCM™ – mats filled with hydrogenated soy oil that store and release energy slowly – Phase Energy Solutions
- AgriTech® Soy Based Elevator Fluid ATSO268 – Bunge North America
- AgriTech® Soy Based Elevator Fluid ATSO232 – Bunge North America
- ZEP® Professional Penetrating Lubicant – ZEP® Superior Solutions
- Bio-Blast™ Penetrating Lubricant – Renewable Lubricants, Inc.
- Bio-Extreme™ HT – an oven/chain lubricant – Renewable Lubricants, Inc.
- Bio-Air Tool™ Lube, ISO 32 – Renewable Lubricants, Inc.
- Sprayon® CD™ 406 Eco-Grade™ Soy Degreaser– Sprayon®
- Tri-Flow® Superior Soy™ Lubricant – a bicycle lubricant – Tri-Flow Lubricants
- Biokleen™ Soy Lube SL-100 – a household lubricant – Bi-O-Kleen Industries, Inc.
- Nutek Green Simply Soy™ Lubricating Cloth Wipes Canister – BET-0020 – Nutek® Green
The 69 farmer-directors of USB oversee the investments of the soy checkoff to maximize profit opportunities for all U.S. soybean farmers. These volunteers invest and leverage checkoff funds to increase the value of U.S. soy meal and oil, to ensure U.S. soybean farmers and their customers have the freedom and infrastructure to operate, and to meet the needs of U.S. soy’s customers. As stipulated in the federal Soybean Promotion, Research and Consumer Information Act, the USDA Agricultural Marketing Service has oversight responsibilities for USB and the soy checkoff.