Web Express Printingof Coquitlam, British Columbia (Canada) has become one of the latest printers in North America to be recognized by the Agfa Graphics environmental program, GreenWorks. The program celebrates customers who demonstrate their commitment to the environment while promoting environmentally-responsible technology, products and practices within the graphic communications industry.
Web Express Printing was established in 1997 with eight staff members, a single "starter" press and a 5-pocket saddle-stitcher. To meet the growing needs of its clients, Web Express has several lines in its shop – including three web press lines and two Heidelberg sheet-fed presses – a dedicated bindery, a mailing department and more.The company was among the Top 100 Fastest Growing Businesses in British Columbia in 2011.
Web Express Printing notes the company was the first printer in North America to import paper made from wheat. Efforts are made to recycle not just paper and cardboard, but ink, plastics and wood. Web Express Printing also uses the :Energy Elite plate from Agfa Graphics in its prepress production. :Energy Elite is a long run, no-bake thermal plate, offering considerable space and energy usage savings.
"It is obvious to us that a sustainable future in life and in business is absolutely critical. Environmental soundness must be in the foreground of our decisions," said Byron Sheardown, owner, Web Express Printing. "Our customers are happy and encourage our efforts to be 'green' as long as it doesn't cost more. With :Energy Elite, we got a superior plate that delivers higher quality printing to our customers."
In addition to using :Energy Elite plates, Web Express Printing aggressively recycles plastic, wood, metal, paper and cardboard. You won't find plastic bottles of water at Byron's facility, and he even drives an electric car. The company is FSC Certified and was the first North American importer of 100% wheat-straw paper from India (agricultural waste product).
"We are proud to support printers such as Web Express Printing that promote cleaner and more efficient printing practices and that are involved in eco-friendly efforts such as recycling, waste reduction programs or use of alternative energy sources in their facilities," said Deborah Hutcheson, director of Marketing, Agfa Graphics.
To become a member of GreenWorks, printers must use one of the following eco-friendly plates from Agfa Graphics:
• :Azura TS - market-leading chemistry-free plate based on Agfa's Thermofuse technology suitable for most commercial applications with run lengths up to 100,000 impressions
• :Amigo TS - award winning low-chemistry plate based on Agfa's Thermofuse technology for commercial applications with run lengths up to 250,000 impressions
• :Energy Elite / Pro - high speed, high quality thermal, no-bake plates suitable for commercial applications up to 350,000 - 400,000 impressions
• :Azura Vi - the first violet photopolymer chemistry-free plate for commercial applications with run lengths up to 150,000 impressions
• :N94-VCF - industry leading chemistry-free violet photopolymer plate for newspaper production with run lengths up to 200,000 impressions.
Agfa Graphics provides GreenWorks members with marketing support materials to promote green efforts on their websites, in direct mail campaigns and other marketing communications opportunities. The GreenWorks winners are listed on Graphic Design USA magazine's website.