Appleton Coated announces the winning entries for the U360 Design Competition. An online gallery of winners can be found at appletoncoated.com by clicking on the U360 section. “Spark,” the 2013 Showbook will be available on request and distributed throughout North America.
Members of the Appleton Coated Design Council judge the U360 Design Competition. Entries were evaluated on overall communication, creative expression and execution, including environmental impact. Submissions must be printed all, or in part, on Utopia and/or Curious Collection, accompanied by a completed entry form, and produced in 2012.
“The creative minds behind the U360 winning entries are those who dared to up the ante, to feud with the familiar and to outwit the ordinary. They boldly stand apart from the rest. They deserve to be celebrated as extraordinary examples of all that vision, design and paper make possible, sparking inspiration and aspiration through printed communication,” says Ferkó X. Goldinger, Appleton Coated’s marketing manager.
Special honors are awarded for:
* Best of Show – “Nick Cave Magalogue” for Nick Cave; designed by Faust, Chicago; printed by Lake County Press, Waukegan, Ill.; paper grade is Conqueror CX22 Brilliant White 70-pound text
“We needed a lightweight sheet that felt unpretentious, but could perform like a star. It needed good opacity as well as compliment the oversized and unbound poster format and ziplock bag packaging. When coupled with UV printing, this uncoated sheet gave us a perfectly uncommercial result,” explains Bob Faust, principal of Faust.
* Design and Print Excellence Awards – “Myth, Modernity, and the Nature of Things by Salvatore LaRosa” for B Five Studio LLP; designed Tsang Seymour Design, Inc., New York; printed by The Avery Group, Shapco Printing, Inc., Minneapolis; paper grade is Utopia Premium Silk 115-pound text
“Our firm specializes in high-fidelity color reproduction and our projects have a very long shelf life. The Utopia Premium has been our first choice sheet for this reason for many years. It outperforms in look and feel, print and image, and it doesn't yellow or age, as most coated sheets do. It is an ideal surface for art and photography reproduction,” says Patrick Seymour, principal of Tsang Seymour.
* Print Excellence Award – “2013 Cadillac Series” for Cadillac; designed by Fallon, Minneapolis; printed by Lithographix, Inc., Los Angeles; paper grades are Utopia U1X Gloss 100-pound cover and text
“Utopia has long been a favorite for us. We felt that with a new look and feel, we needed a new paper stock as well. With U1X we have experienced excellent results. In addition, the staff at Appleton Coated has provided us with outstanding service,” praises Kirsten O'Callaghan, senior producer at Fallon.
* Communication Excellence Awards
- “Fort Worth Opera Festival Campaign” for Fort Worth Opera; designed by The Matchbox Studio, Inc., Dallas; printed by Thinc Marketing Solutions, Dallas; paper grades are Utopia Two Dull 100-pound cover and 80-pound text
“We knew the photos would print well on this paper” and it “fits well with the client’s budget,” notes Thinc Marketing Solutions’ team.
- “Networked & Social Systems Engineering Admission Brochure” for Penn Engineering, University of Pennsylvvania; designed by karma agency, Philadelphia; printed by Epic Litho, Phoenixville, Pa.; paper grades are Curious Translucents Clear 75-pound cover and 36-pound text