xpedx, a leading business-to-business distributor of printing, packaging and facility solutions products and services, has achieved a rating of two Green Globes for the Continual Improvement of Existing Buildings certification at its Fairfield, Ohio site. The Green Globes program, from the Green Building Initiative, is a tool for evaluating, rating and improving the environmental footprint of commercial buildings.
“For xpedx customers, securing the Green Globes rating further demonstrates our commitment to maintain environmentally efficient buildings and to be a sustainable link in their supply chain,” said Michelle Kennedy, xpedx Manager, Sustainability Operations.
The xpedx site in Fairfield received its two Green Globes rating based on a comprehensive evaluation of its environmental performance across six assessment areas.
• Energy: xpedx conducted energy audits recommended by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR program.
• Water: xpedx used low-flow, one gallon-per-flush toilets.
• Resources: xpedx worked with a third-party waste diversion contractor to develop a waste reduction plan.
• Emissions: xpedx formed a health and safety committee to ensure that hazardous products are properly managed.
• Indoor Environment: xpedx implemented a green cleaning policy to minimize the use of pollutants.
• Environmental Management: xpedx posted site maps to assist emergency response teams.
To be eligible for Green Globes, companies must submit 12 consecutive months of operational energy and water data and a preliminary self-evaluation of their facility’s environmental performance. A third-party assessor then reviews the self-evaluation, conducts an onsite tour and assigns a rating of one to four Green Globes.
“Maintaining an efficient, environmentally friendly facility is a goal for every xpedx site,” said Steve Morgan, xpedx Manager, Fairfield Division. “Earning the Green Globes is a positive result of our team’s efforts and the company’s comprehensive approach to sustainable building management.”
The xpedx facility in Nashville, Tenn. also achieved a rating of two Green Globes last year.
The Green Globes rating is just one element of xpedx’s strategy to maintain sustainable operations, offer sustainable product choices and provide leadership in sustainable business practices. xpedx tracks recycling diversion rates at all locations to reduce landfill materials. The business is continuing a policy in which 90 percent of its marketing materials only use paper certified to either the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) or Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) standards. xpedx is a SmartWay Transport Partner, which reflects its commitment to reduce emissions from its fleet. xpedx is also an “ENERGY STAR partner,” demonstrating its commitment to responsible stewardship of natural resources.