Mohawk, North America’s largest privately-owned manufacturer of fine papers, envelopes and specialty substrates for commercial and digital printing, announces the second issues of the Mohawk Maker Quarterly and Mohawk Craft Cooperative publications. The publications are designed to support an emerging maker culture and are enhanced with additional content made possible through Mohawk Live, Mohawk’s augmented reality app.
The second issues of the Mohawk Craft Cooperative and the Mohawk Maker Quarterly focus on the topic of materials – specifically the importance of selecting and using the highest quality raw materials to achieve the finest end results.
To enhance the fine materials messaging, the publications were printed on Mohawk Loop, a 100% PCW recycled paper, designed to reduce the impact on the environment without sacrificing print performance. The story of Mohawk Loop, and the lifecycle of a sustainable sheet of paper is chronicled within each of the publications.
The diverse portfolio of Mohawk Loop papers is selected and used by environmentally responsible designers and brands, including Herman Miller, Timberland, Whole Foods and Sara Lee among many others.
All papers within the Mohawk Loop portfolio are made with recycled materials, using renewable energy. The papers are FSC and Green Seal Certified, Green-e Wind power and carbon neutral, and available in a range of print surfaces and a palette of whites, pastels, jewel tones and earthy fibered shades.
The Mohawk Maker Quarterly
Mohawk believes that partnership is essential to furthering the interests of makers, and the Mohawk Maker Quarterly is a vehicle to support this community of like-minded individuals. Content focuses on stories of small manufacturers, artisans, printers, designers and artists who are making their way in the midst of the digital revolution.
The second edition of the Mohawk Maker Quarterly focuses on ‘Mastery of Materials’ and features the following makers:
• DODOcase, A small manufacturer embracing new technology while championing traditional craftsmanship, San Francisco, CA
• Almanac Beer Company, Artisan microbrewer, San Francisco, CA
• Sawkill Lumber Co., Reclaimed wood craftsmen, New York, NY
• Brooklyn Slate, Slate manufacturers, Brooklyn, NY
• Heath Ceramics, Artisan ceramicists, Sausalito, CA
• Mast Brothers Chocolate, Craft chocolate makers, Brooklyn, NY
• Harris Tweed Authority, Protectors and promoters of Harris Tweed, Isle of Lewis, Scotland
• Juniper Ridge, Foraged scent distillers, Petaluma, CA
• Neeman Tools, Craft tool makers, Latvia
The cover story, ‘Why Materials Matter,’ features interviews with materials experts explaining why they go to great lengths to use only the highest quality materials for their products:
• KOBO Pure Soy Candles, Makers of handcrafted soy candles
• Pendleton Woolen Mills, Weavers of 100% virgin wool
• Laguintas Brewing Company, Artisan microbrewer, Petaluma, CA
• Kristin Jackson, Author of It’s Not You, Its Brie,
• Koppi Coffee, Fine coffee roasters, Helsingborg, Sweden
The Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue 2 was designed by Hybrid Design, San Francisco, CA; printed on Mohawk Loop, Inxwell Vellum, Eco White (100% PCW), 80 Text (118 gsm). The publication was printed by Classic Graphics, Charlotte, NC.