Nuance Communications, Inc., a leading provider of speech and imaging solutions, and Ricoh, the leading provider of digital office equipment, today announced the ?Personal Paperless Document Manager? (PPDM), a new desktop application that makes document scanning and conversion with network multifunction printer (MFP) devices easier, more personalized and more effective than ever before. PPDM, designed for the Ricoh family of MFPs under the Ricoh, Savin, and Lanier brands, empowers users to eliminate paper processes by scanning documents directly to folders on a desktop and into ECM solutions. The solution will be on display in the Nuance Meeting Room (MR351) at AIIM Exposition + Conference 2009 in Philadelphia, March 30 ? April 2, 2009.
PPDM makes scanning personal by letting users customize the MFP touch-screen menus directly from their PC, without the need for IT resources or intervention. The user experience is enhanced due to the seamless integration of a powerful desktop application with intuitive icon-based selections on the MFP touch-screen. The solution allows scanning at the MFP with single icons for scanning to the desktop, network locations and content management systems such as Microsoft® SharePoint?. Finally, PPDM makes scanning far more effective by making it easy to accomplish many tasks ? such as scanning to the desktop, creating a searchable PDF and converting to a formatted Word document ? with one selection at the MFP.
?The addition of personalized scanning features within the PPDM solution is impressive, as users can now instantly customize their MFP touch-screen experience right from their computer. By making scanning easy and personal, and by enabling paperless PDF workflows from the desktop, individuals can streamline document management processes and help make their organizations more successful overall,? said Ron Potesky, senior vice president, Corporate Communications, Product/Solutions & Channel Marketing, Ricoh Americas Corporation. ?Our customers face increasing pressure to improve workflow, enhance security and cut costs each day. Working with a company such as Nuance enables Ricoh to hold true to our mission of providing robust and stable solutions that address our customers? specific business needs and provide them with tangible tools to help improve their bottom-line.?
Personal Paperless Document Manager ? Easy, Personalized and Effective
- Desktop Productivity ? PPDM simplifies scanning with features that allow users to combine scanned documents with existing Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint content ? all with drag and drop ease.
- Enhanced MFP User Experience ? PPDM leverages Nuance?s patent-pending PaperPort PSP server component to provide users with clear icon-driven selections on Ricoh MFP devices, with automated delivery directly to the user?s PC.
- Personalized Scanning ? With the PPDM server in place, users can directly customize their MFP scanning menus on any Ricoh MFP on the network, eliminating IT customization requests and freeing the time of busy IT staff.
- Robust Support for PDF ? PPDM includes both PDF-MRC, which compresses scanned color PDF to be up to eight times smaller than image PDF files, as well as PDF Converter Professional, which adds allows users to create PDF from any PC application, and provides robust support for viewing, annotating and editing industry-standard PDF files. PPDM also supports advanced PDF features such as redaction, form-filling and digital signatures.
- Time Saved ? PPDM includes Nuance?s OmniPage software, the most accurate way to turn paper and PDF into editable Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents ? complete with text, columns, tables and graphics. With the average office worker able to type at about 35 words-per-minute, and an average page of text containing 500 words, the document conversion features in PPDM can save 15 minutes per page compared to manual typing.
?Ricoh is a leader in MFP solutions for many reasons, not the least of which is its deep understanding of customer needs,? said Robert Weideman, general manager and senior vice president, Nuance Document Imaging Division. ?PPDM isn?t simply a scanning application, but rather a document desktop that makes it easy to use, share and store all the documents on a user?s PC. With this new solution Ricoh has made it possible for organizations to provide their staff with everything needed to save hours every day by instantly turning paper into online digital documents.?
PPDM will be available in early Summer 2009 from Ricoh.
For more information on Ricoh and its products, please visit www.ricoh-usa.com.