New release of Quark’s Publishing Platform automates digital publishing to the iPad and ePUB and expands workflow and remote access capabilities to support enterprise publishers
Quark announced today the availability of Quark Publishing System 9, the new release of Quark’s dynamic publishing platform for automated publishing to print, Web, e-reader, mobile, and tablet devices. The new version offers enhanced automation for publishing eBooks and multi-page documents, customizable workflows for the creation of media and business documents, fully supports the new capabilities of QuarkXPress 9 and QuarkCopyDesk 9, and delivers updates to Web Hub for content creators working remotely and externally.
“Quark Publishing System has evolved to be a flexible and powerful publishing platform for all types of organizations who need to streamline their publishing processes while delivering engaging information to multiple types of media including print, Web, and digital. Our customers in financial services, manufacturing, and many other industries are choosing Quark Publishing System to create marketing collateral, technical documentation, white papers, investment research reports, and other communications,” said PG Bartlett, senior vice president of product management for Quark.
Expands Digital Publishing Capability with ePUB Support
With Quark Publishing System, customers are already able to create and publish custom-branded apps with interactive content to the iPad. Quark Publishing System 9 now supports automated digital publishing from XML to the ePUB format. The capability to create intelligent, structured content using XML allows content to be easily reused and repurposed dynamically for automated publishing across multiple documents, channels, and formats.
Improves Flexibility to Manage Varied Workflows by Project and Asset
Quark Publishing System 9 enhances workflow functionality to extend support for different types of documents, projects, and assets through a new feature called “Collections,” which are groups of related assets that can share one or more workflows, automatic routing rules, Job Jackets, users and groups, and revision settings. Collections allow users to organize assets in an n-level directory structure according to business needs. The Collections functionality includes:
- Collection Attributes: Assign attributes such as due date to an entire collection rather than just to individual assets within a collection.
- Collection templates: Define standard parameters in a collection template and use the template to create a new collection rather than define parameters from scratch each time.
- Asset type-based workflows: Create workflows for different types of assets, such as one workflow for images and a different workflow for articles. Users can switch an asset to a different workflow at any time.
- Reusable workflows independent of directory structure: Apply existing workflows to any asset in any directory instead of recreating them.
Enhances Publishing Automation
Quark Publishing System 9 enhances support of dynamic layout of tables eliminating the need for manual intervention to automatically publish annual reports, financial statements, and other documents that use tabular information. The publishing platform can now automatically create tables and automatically handle tables that span more than one page.
Quark Publishing System 9 also allows for multiple sections within any journal or publication to be worked on independently as a project which then can be automatically merged into one single publication.
Advanced Remote Access with Web Hub
Web Hub is a module of Quark Publishing System that allows external content creators and editors to work remotely from a Web browser. The interface of Web Hub in Quark Publishing System 9 has been overhauled to provide a more intuitive and productive experience, including the ability to browse through the directory structure. The updates also provide editing enhancements, including:
- WYSIWYG view: Combines preview and editing in a single view to allow users to find and change content more easily and preview those changes without any extra mouse clicks.
- Picture editing and picture attachment to articles: Users can manipulate pictures through capabilities such as enlarging, shrinking, cropping, and rotating – or even replace pictures entirely.
- Zoomable asset previews: In the preview mode, users can zoom in to see content in greater detail.
Compatibility with QuarkXPress 9, QuarkCopyDesk 9
Quark Publishing System is fully compatible with QuarkCopyDesk 9, the application that allows writers, editors, reviewers, and other non-designers to collaborate on a layout from the page designer's perspective. QuarkCopyDesk now supports 17 user interface languages, including Czech, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, and European Portuguese; allows users to create new articles from templates; gives more control for overriding local formatting while applying style sheets; provides Job Ticket support; and supports the .docx file format of Microsoft Word 2007 and 2010.
Through QuarkCopyDesk, Quark Publishing System also supports advanced design automation functionality introduced with QuarkXPress 9, including:
- Conditional Styles: The ability to automatically style content by applying powerful, pre-defined styling rules
- Bullets and Numbering: The ability to apply pre-defined bullet, numbering, and outline styles to lists and outlines
- Callouts: The ability to move boxes and groups automatically with text