HELIOS Software released its Virtual Server Appliance, a turnkey file server solution for Mac, Windows and Web clients. The easy-to-deploy VM server images run within the major VM environments: VMWare ESX Server, Citrix XenServer, and Microsoft Hyper-V. Incorporating an optimized Linux runtime, the HELIOS Virtual Server Appliance file server solution includes HELIOS EtherShare UB2, PCShare UB2, and WebShare UB2, which are ready to use within minutes.
“Virtualized servers offer huge advantages including reduced IT costs, isolation of services and energy savings,” explained Helmut Tschemernjak, CEO of HELIOS Software GmbH. “Customers can deploy a full-featured, high performance and secure file server on any major VM environment within minutes. No special knowledge of the underlying operating system is required.”
The included Linux runtime is highly optimized for the HELIOS file server products. A special configuration assistant enables easy integration with any existing network environment within minutes, with no need to install software on the clients.
Features of the HELIOS Virtual Server Appliance include:
• Mac file server with AFP 3.3, Bonjour TCP printing, Time Machine backups, Spotlight searches
• Windows file server with SMB/CIFS file and print services, Spotlight searches
• Web file server with list and gallery views, zoomable image and document previews, performance optimized file up- and downloads, Spotlight searches
• Authentication server with LDAP, AD/PDC and NIS integration support
• DHCP main and backup server for fast and easy-to-use client connections
• Remote administration from any Mac, Windows, or UNIX clients
• Integrated Logical Volume Manager supports:
– Multiple disks per volume
– Multiple file system snapshots for backups
– On-the-fly volume resizing without service downtime
• Easy server & storage setup via HELIOS Configuration Assistant
Further information is available on the HELIOS web site: www.helios.de. Videos demonstrating installation and configuration can be viewed at www.helios.de/videos, and the manual at www.helios.de/manuals.
Smart Ideas for Better Networking
HELIOS UB2 Unbreakable Server Solutions deliver mission critical server solutions to enterprise, government, university, and prepress sites. WebShare, EtherShare, and PCShare provide integrated cross-platform networking for Mac, Windows and Web clients, with advanced file and print server services, and easy remote server administration. HELIOS ImageServer, PDF HandShake and PrintPreview bring high efficiency and advanced capabilities to design, prepress and printing operations.
HELIOS products run on powerful and scalable servers including Apple Mac OS X, IBM AIX, Linux, Oracle Solaris, and Windows systems. HELIOS products provide reliable cross-platform support for Mac, Windows, Web and UNIX-based clients.
Distributors sell HELIOS products worldwide to value-added resellers who provide complete networking solutions to customers. HELIOS also works with many strategic partners that incorporate HELIOS server software to provide powerful third-party archive, asset management and workflow solutions.