Monotype Imaging Holdings Inc., a leading provider of typefaces, technology and expertise for creative applications and consumer devices, has introduced version 4.0 of its award-winning FontExplorer X Pro font management solution for Macintosh platforms. The new release, which breaks new ground with features such as support for Web fonts, OpenType features and Monotype’s SkyFonts technology, is available separately or as part of Monotype’s top-level Fonts.com Web Fonts subscription plans. Customers are able to take advantage of advanced capabilities for selecting, accessing and managing large numbers of fonts quickly and easily.
“Fonts should be easy to work with, and it should also be a pleasant experience,” said Chris Roberts, vice president and general manager of Monotype’s e-commerce group. “FontExplorer X Pro has earned a great reputation for providing powerful capabilities to professionals yet is simple enough for ‘everyone else.’ Excellent typography requires easy access to great type, and FontExplorer X Pro helps to make that happen effectively.”
FontExplorer X Pro 4.0 introduces several features, including:
• Web font support – FontExplorer X Pro can now import, preview and organize Web fonts, including WOFF (Web Open Font Format) and EOT (Embedded OpenType) files.
• Website font preview – Selected elements on any website can be viewed within FontExplorer X Pro where users can customize the fonts, colors and spacing of text.
• Slide show feature – Selected fonts can be displayed as a slide show and can overlay documents to help designers gauge how font selections will appear in projects.
• Mini view – FontExplorer X Pro can now work in a small window, allowing for more screen space for design apps, while providing easy access to the user’s font library.
• Enhanced smart sets – One of the most popular features of FontExplorer X Pro, smart sets operate as filters for designers to access fonts that meet predetermined criteria. Smart sets now support multiple languages, as well as OpenType features available within certain fonts.
• Improved main font list – Enhancements include the ability to view OpenType feature information and preview font selections using either a multi-line or waterfall view.
• SkyFonts Support – FontExplorer X Pro now supports SkyFonts technology, Monotype’s platform for easily trialing, installing and synchronizing desktop fonts from Fonts.com or Google Fonts across workstations.
• Connectivity through Fonts.com Master and Professional subscription plans – Subscribers of either plan can take advantage of all the benefits of FontExplorer X Pro through built-in SkyFonts technology.
Monotype’s Fonts.com Master and Professional subscription plans feature access to more than 20,000 Web fonts, and more than 7,000 traditional desktop fonts, including selections from the Monotype Libraries which comprise the Monotype, Linotype, ITC, Bitstream and Ascender collections. Subscribers also receive SkyFonts technology; Monotype’s Typecast application, a browser-based tool for designing Web pages with Web fonts; and now FontExplorer X Pro.
“FontExplorer X Pro demonstrates our commitment to add value to our subscription plans on an ongoing basis, and provide subscribers with tools that will help them work with type throughout their complete digital or print workflow,” Roberts said.