PACKZ from Hybrid Software (Booth 4620) is the only professional editor for labels and packaging prepress that works entirely in the native PDF environment. Files are never converted, normalized, or ""imported"" into an intermediate format, but instead are edited directly as PDF files using Hybrid's own PDF library, which was developed specifically for the demanding prepress requirements of labels and packaging.
PACKZ 1.0 was introduced in late 2013 to support the tag & label market, and PACKZ 2.0 was released in June 2014 to add support for folding carton production, with direct support for CAD die structures used for nested step and repeat layouts.
PACKZ runs on both PC and Mac hardware and utilizes 64-bit multi-processing and multi-threading for extremely fast operation. Feedback from PACKZ customers indicates a 3-5X increase in overall productivity, with some processing-intensive functions like trapping running up to 10X faster than competitive products.
PACKZ 2.0 provides a full suite of prepress tools for labels & packaging:
- Automatic & manual trapping, both globally and in local selections.
- Separation handling and color mapping.
- Text handling and full support for embedded & external fonts.
- Extensive barcode creation and recognition, including preflight of any embedded barcodes.
- Tight link to Photoshop for editing of images embedded in PDF layouts.
- Object-based screening control allows output through any RIP or workflow.
- "Live objects" provide dynamic, variable content linked to an external MIS system or database.
- Extensive step and repeat capabilities for both labels and folding cartons.